337 - death of Constantine the Great (of a disease) : Eutropius says “He was deservedly enrolled among the gods.”
- Constantine II gets Britain, Gaul, Spain. Constans gets Italy, N. Africa, Constantius the East.
-Constantine 1's nephew, Dalmatius Caesar and 10 other members of the Imperial house killed by (? German) soldiers in Constantinople (Constantius may be complicit)
- Thracia , Achaea & Macedonia pass to Constans
338-9? Constantine II and Constans argue over Africa, Thrace, Macedonia
340 - Constantine II dies at Aquileia, failed to take Italy from Constans.
- there is a feeling among the Frontier Wolves that supply / payment problems worsten after death of Constantine I. Julius Gavros complains about corruption in Constantine II’s officials.
- Constans takes Britain, Gaul, Spain.
341 - pagan sacrifices banned by Constans & Constantius (?? what sort of pagan sacrifices??)
- Julius Gavros has a run-in with Druid Morvydd, who is demanding a human sacrifice after a bad harvest. ‘A year or two ago’ he says when talking to Alexios.
342 - Constans & Constantius legislate against the destruction of pagan temples
- early autumn Alexios takes over in charge of Castellum.
343 - ?September - death of Ferradach Dhu. Alexios gets word of envoys from Hibernia coming to negotiate the wedding of a princess at the court of King Bruide of the Picts.
343 - 12 December (ish) - Praepositus Montanus arrives at Castellum.17th Dec (ish) Connla killed. Picts attack.
Bremenium & Segontium sacked. Arcani opened the gates.
343 - Dec 21- Midwinter’s Night - Third Ordo reaches Bremenium, Alexios kills Cunorix.
Attacotti landing along the Western coasts, Damnonii join them.
Dec 22nd - Third Ordo reaches Habitancium.
Dec 23rd - Third Ordo & Habitancium garrison arrive at Onnum & see Emperor Constans.
343 (winter)- Emperor Constans visits Britain.
- Council of Serdica called by Constans to try to resolve tensions between Nicene creed & Arianism.
344 - Jan - Alexios recovers.
Sixth Legion & Twentieth Legion sent in to end trouble in Valentia.
Feb - Julius Gavros appointed Praepositus. Constans offers Alexios a choice of 3 jobs.
346 - Constans (Nicene) & Constantius (Arian) religious tension
350 - Constans killed by assassins serving Magnentius Caesar, who had declared himself Emperor of the West. They dragged Constans from a temple where he had taken refuge.
367 - the Great Conspiracy. Arcani betray the empire (this seems to be a bit that Sutcliff has moved forward by about 30-odd years, so I may need to find a reason why the Arcani treachery of 343 doesn't see the end of them! ) , are disbanded by Count Theodosius.
380ish - Votadini king Cunedda / Constantine III Paternius born (later goes to Wales). Genealogies give his grandfather as Padernus of the Red Robe - possibly a king set up with Roman support?
And here is the fort at Castellum. I must say my mental image of the area was more moorlandy, somehow.