June 2nd, 2008



The oyster mushroom kit I got for my birthday has now spent 4 weeks maturing at room temperature, and 2 days in the fridge to induce cropping.

I've just taking it out of the bag and put it on a shallow tray in the utility room in its croppiong bag. It smells very mushroomy, and has started to produce stems which with a bit of luck, will develop mushrooms on the end of them shortly.

I wonder if I can keep it going once the straw it's feeding on runs out of oomph? Perhaps I could give it more straw to eat?